Monday, February 6, 2012

The Philippines - Puerta Galera (beach time!!)

There's not much to say about Manila at 3:45am in the morning. Glad
Ken was with me on the bus and could hang out till I left for the
beach. Fast food and walking with my backpack. Wheee.

Bus then Banka (traditional ferry boat) to Puerta Guelera (on the
Island of Mindoro) took 4+hrs. It's gorgeous here. white sand beaches
and tourquoise water.

White beach has lots of Hawkers and tourist places, the next beach
down is aninipuan where Sandra and robert stayed at the Tamara Beach
Resort, much nicer and more peaceful. I had to scrabble over the rocks
to get to it from WB where the boat let me off. Was an interesting
experience with my big backpack on and wearing flip flops, but not too
bad. We had Dinner @white beach, beef in oyster sauce, tough but good
flavor, no relation to oyster sauce. None of the food has been
worthwhile here yet. Booo.

I went swiming for a bit but there are lots of teeny tiny jellyfish
and I got tired of getting stung. Really takes the fun out of swimming
for me, at least it's pretty.

My new favorite thing here, Calamansi juice. Hot. (teensy tiny little
limes with an orange center that I am beyond in love with, so far the
only thing the Philippines have going for them)

Dinner tonight was barbecue, pork skewer, belly and chop, shared. Ok.
But not a whole lot of food. They snack all day here, so portions are
smaller. I am not snacking, so it's a bit dificult. Food is also not
that cheap. Ok, but not cheap.

Found a room in Coco Aroma for the rest of my stay here, neat, in
attic of bar, 1000P/night ($25) with it's own bath but it's outside
the room. Cold water shower. *sigh*

Woke late, NO ROOSTERS!!! Walked across to Anipuan to say goodbye to
Robert and Sandra. Then peace and relaxation hanging out with peeps in
the guesthouse. (beach hostel?) Took a trike with Elodie to Puerta
Guelera town, found a local market and bought mangos, a Guyabayana
fruit (green spiky) and a banana flower. Guy tastes like custard
apple, tangy and soft, somewhat mealy. Ok blended into juice but not
my favorite. I got to ride on the top of the trike on the way back!
Woot!

Banana flower is fantastic. Tastes somewhat like artichoke. Made 2
ways, boiled with sauce, and cooked in a coconut curry sauce. Mmmm..

One of the days I got off my butt and took a trek trip with Marcea and
Jonah and others from Coco Aroma. 1/2 hr boat ride to Occidental
Mindoro, then walk up to Jonah's uncle's house, gather machete and a
few other people. We walked along the rice fields for a bit, then
through a small village, over fences (baby pigs!) crossed the river
(knee to thigh high) 3 times and stoped near a pool of water to
swim/barbecue lunch. Barbecue pork/chicken wings. Salad, rice, on
banana leaf?/ stalk plates. Dessert RIPE mango. Yum. :) Local rum and
coke. Yay good food and good company.

After lunch we hiked/walked the rest of the way to another swimming
hole then headed back. There were a total 22 river crossings (knee
high or higher), plus walking along the river a bit. (Jonah brought
his guitar, and it was a humorous sight to see him fording the river
with it!)

On one rest stop, one of our locals traveling with us shimmied like a
monkey up the trunk of a coconut palm and cut some down. Bigger than
my head, they fell with a HUGE thump. The "water" was sweet and they
cut us "spoons" out of the husk to eat the flesh with. Yum.

First jungle trek I have ever done in flip flops! I felt like a
native. It was about 1/2 jungle, 1/2 rural. Very fun. Boat ride back
we all got covered in sea spray, it was very windy, aren't I glad I
had finally dried from the river. :P

Last day it rained, and rained. Finally cleared and I go a Henna
tattoo. Dinner was another banana blossom, cooked both ways. I also
bought some Canned fruit to check it out, the coco de Nato is really
good. Tonight we had Live music. Yay.

Off back North in the pouring rain, makes it both harder and easier to
leave. I'll miss the friend's I have made here.

Boat -> Bus -> Taxi -> Bus -> Jeepenie -> Hotel in Clark, again, ugh.
Long travel day.

Airport in the morning then I go back to Thailand.

Getting closer and closer to the end..

No comments:

Post a Comment